Bigfoot Summary
So in my freshman English class I was practicing writing summaries for an upcoming essay we have due in less than four days that I haven't really known how to start.
I wrote this summary on an article on Bigfoot called, "Why Wikipedia Is So Tough on Bigfoot," and I'm not really sure how I did as I'm still learning how to write proper summaries. I haven't written a proper summary as of Spring of 2022. So it's been definitely been a while and I'm a little rusty. Here is it for you all to read and critize, for the better of course. I'm open to all constructive critisism!
Stephen Harrison in his article, “Why Wikipedia is So Tough on Bigfoot,” argues that both Wikipedia and the two sides of Wikipedia's Never-Ending-Cryptozoological War should come to terms that they both can agree on to keep everyone at peace. More specifically, that Wikipedia should label cryptozoology as pseudoscience, in order for non-believers to make an acknowledgement to that. Their research shows their neutrality in terms of beliefs in Bigfoot amongst other cryptids. He writes, “...If a reputable publisher describes an entity as a “cryptid,” then Wikipedia should classify it within its cryptid category,” and then later on in the paragraph, “At the same time, Wikipedia should continue to clearly label cryptozoology as pseudoscience…” Overall, Harrison shows both sides of the spectrum, not siding with either of them, instead spectating.
I wasn't entirely sure where the author stands as they seem to be going back and forth with both parties. I tried to explain that the author was not with either side, but I'm a little lost.
SOS??
Hey! I think you did a great job summarizing that article. I agree that Harrison's ending of both parties meeting in the middle is a little confusing. I like the quotes you chose, they represent the main point of the article really concisely. I do get where he's coming from but it seems like from the interview with the wiki mods and his own statement at the end about how wiki should continue doing what they're already doing, the point has already been made? Perhaps I'm biased as I side with the wiki mods haha!
ReplyDeleteI really like how you also saw that the author wasn't really trying to convey just one side of the narrative. I think the author wrote it like this in order for the reader to make their own opinion on what they think is right. Overall, there's a lot of ways to spin or take in this article, and saying that he can take in both sides has to be my favorite take on it.
ReplyDelete